Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Transformation of Whalom - by Stu Sherman






5prc.jpg, originally uploaded by scsherman.





Stu Sherman, http://www.stusherman.com/Galleries/ owner of Stu's Photography (17 Bow Street, Union Square, Somerville Ma.) is exhibiting Photographs of Liminal Spaces, (including Whalom Park) - at the Somerville Open Studios on May 5 and 6, 2007.




ABOUT STU'S WORK




I use a view camera (4x5) because I find it gives me the control with composition I am looking for as well as the fine detail for capturing structures during periods of growth and destruction. The sites in my photographs exist within communities and help create a space in which one is neither completely attached nor detached from culture. In focusing on such sites the images attempt to provide a ground for the viewers to reflect on their own world. The current project I am working on focuses on the physical transformation of Whalom Park.




WHALOM PARK PROJECT




This project started the summer before the demolition of Whalom Park. I really wanted to get inside and photograph the park before the demoltion, during it, and while the developers were building their new community. I figured the best way to do this was to talk with the developers and see if I could get permission to be inside. I spoke with some people at Global and they have allowed me to photograph Whalom and the upcoming construction. That is how I've been able to get access to take the photos I have posted.




Stu's dramatic photos of Whalom Park can be viewed at the Somerville Open Studios and very soon on his new website. Stay tuned for more announcements.




0 comments:

Whalom Park's Fan Box

Whalom Park on Facebook